Haven’t been around in awhile

I really want to make blogging a habit. I do. So, why can’t I put the pictures from my camera onto my computer and post them for the sharing pleasure?

Well, I am submitting some pictures of some altered items. One is a book I created using the Bind-It-All for the first time. After that there are two altered tins. These are a bit older, but it is something to share.

Since going to the Bead and Button show last week, I have been back into beading. I got some neat things that I will have to take pictures of and post.

Oh, also, I learned of Wildfire, which is Beadalon’s response to Fireline. Can I just say that I like it better? First off, you can find it at Michael’s. Secondly, I think it really is smoother than Fireline, although I did have some issues with the occasional twisting becoming a knot. That was more my fault for not catching it sooner and undoing it before pulling.

I am going to try and be more diligent here. Wish me luck – again.


Gesso meets alcohol inks… the experiment

Okay, so there was the question – can alcohol inks be used on gesso to cover up what is already on the tin. The answer – sort of.

I started with the tin and covered it with Gesso. I think the next time I do this, I won’t put the Gesso on the bottom of the tin and possible avoid the sides. It just got kind of messy.

Next, I started to add my alcohol inks. Since this was an experiment anyhow, I was trying the drop technique using compressed air to move the drops around. It wasn’t what I hoped for, so I continued to dab and blend.

Once all blended, it doesn’t have the shine that alcohol inks can have. It looked and felt kind of drab.

I added a rub on and some stickers to decorate and then thought that Modge Podge glossy might be able to spruce this up and give it some shine.

It did this, but it also allowed me to see that my letters weren’t straight (I don’t know why I didn’t use the ruler that I purchased just for the purpose of making sure things are centered).

So, I added some flowers. Nope, not what I expected. Not what I hoped for… but, at least now I know… as long as you cover it with Modge Podge, it sort of works. I also know that poorly placed flowers with Glue dots will pull off the letters and rub on if I tried to remove the cheesy looking flowers.

I will just keep telling myself that this was just an experiment.


when creativity sucks, take a class

So, my creativity was on one of those lulls that just has you frustrated as you sit down at your craft desk and stare. I set this place up, I have the new apartment, so now where the hell is my creativity.

I took the watercolor class at Archiver’s, which sparked the Valentine’s day cards that I had made when Caitlin was over, but this time I went over to Craft Fancy to take a class by Martha Bonneau, where we made this awesome altered book.

I need to learn to create outside the lines, so this was an awesome experiment. I am going to try to continue to create in this book without measuring (much) before setting it up.

I was also proud of myself for being able to make a card in about 30 minutes during my lunch break on Friday. My friend has been home recovering for too long, so who can stay unhappy when presented with rainbows and ice cream?

I used an idea from CPS 104.

I am starting to get the grasp of using a sketch once in awhile to spark something.

I also have gotten going on an order for some cards and a journal. The cards are going to take some thought, but when I came across this cute kitty paper at Archiver’s, I was sparked.

Plus, I came across these adorable American Craft Thickers, which seemed to keep the idea of the fun going.

Finally, for my last piece, I was back in the altering mood. My friend Anne recently got me interested in Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, which has these awesome perfumes. You can get larger bottles or little samples, which they call imps. Anne gave an initial dose in an Altoid tin, but when I found a similiar tin at Archivers (by Art Bin, I think), I had to nab it to alter, so I came up with this. Oddly enough, I did not plan to use quite so much Stickles, but due to a clog and then a burst of glitter, I couldn’t let it go to waste. I think it worked, though. I love how the alcohol inks worked. I just hope that I don’t end up scratching any of it off.

In the meantime, when not crafting. I just finished Patricia Brigg’s Bone Crossed and have just started on Stephenie Meyer’s Host. I have really been loving the reading and crafting thing lately.

Well, off to watch Chuck and Heroes. Gotta love Mondays!